Sunday, April 12, 2015

La semana antes de Semana Santa


Marzo 22

Sunday is the day of rest, as is everyday, but I was feeling especially lazy from dancing the night before. Sin embargo, I gathered the uumph to play some soccer! Which always turns out to be a good idea in hindsight. Two locals that we usually play with joined us.


Finished the game with a piece of chocolate cake shared with May and Hannah from Santa Clara, as per usual (hey, exercise = earned chocolate cake).

Marzo 23

Crimson-fronted parakeet audited our spanish class, gorgeous but noisy little buggers.


Almost forgot about our meeting with Luis for a discussion about holy week and queque for May's birthday. After happy birthday was sung and cake was served, Luis warned us about "beaches, jesus, alcohol, and sex" - those are exactly what comes to mind when I think of Holy Week, jajaja.


Marzo 24

Beautiful day, enjoyed lunch outside.


Saw my nephew's smile for the first time...can he be any stinkin' cuter???


Marzo 25

Spanish class ended early, went to a soccer game after with ICDS folks between UCR and Limon. Even for a college games, fans were pretty crazy. There was one guy standing in front of us that would go berserk if Limon did something wrong, dedicated.


We were joined by the students in the other Spring Program, and I photobombed their selfie...this is Bri and Hunter, and me awkwardly eating my Milkyway...


Much to the dedicated fan's dismay, as well as all the other Limon fans, they lost pretty bad. They gave a good fight in the second half though!

Cute Niece and Nephew photo update: most precious little beings ever.


Marzo 26

 "Poetry slam" in Helen's class, t'was awesome. Ilana and I did a song, others did poems, or songs as well. If you want to view lanz and my song, click here! (keep in mind I am not musically inclined) Danielle and Stecy beat-boxed, favorite part of the whole thing, would be lying if I said I didn't break out in tears laughing. Then Helen shared a poem she had written about observations she's made around San Jose, very beautiful.

Marzo 27

Left early for community service to buy bus tickets for Manuel Antonio - tag teamed it since we had to go to two different bus stations. Hit up Tracopa first for Manuel Antonio, then San Carlos so May could get the tickets for her group to go to La Fortuna.
Finallyyy arrived promptly at our service site, only to find that they were not expecting us...the school had off for semana santa already, so Jose was not there either, and we were supposed to interview him for our Community Engagement Final Paper (oops).
After working on some more beds, caught the bus back to San Jose and walked to post office to mail a few more postcards. Smelled pizza hut and decided to be "those Americans" who bought pizza hut while in a foreign country.


Sat our booties in the park nearby and people watched, all sorts of things happening: tight rope, yoga, breakdancing, art displays, and other people just enjoying the day. The guy on the tight rope would flip and bounce and do all sorts of tricks that seemed impossible to me. Then I started thinking about what all these people were doing hanging out in San Jose park in the middle of the day on a Friday - quite the community.

Marzo 28

Woke up early for the organic green market with Chloe & Jean, this time I was determined to get the grilled cheese I had skipped out on last time. We all split the grilled cheese, along with a hummus sandwich. Then splurged a bit more and got this fruit pizza type thing (that I spilled all over myself and almost dropped like 5 times).



And of course we couldn't leave without getting some more ice-lollies...mora y banano all around.


In preparation for Holy Week, I decided I would get my first bikini wax (being a girl is rough sometimes people, and having to shave is the biggest pain in the rump). So after the market I set off on that mission. Terina and Sam had both gone to Planet Hair near UCR, so I started walking in that direction. When I finally found it, it was crazy busy, packed with people, I went up to the counter and realized I had forgot to look up how to say wax...so I tried as best I could and she knew what I wanted right away. Immediately I was shuffled to this little alley-like side room, started waxing away. Not quite as awkward as I imagined it was going to be, the more awkward thing was walking out of the room into the crowd of people that knew what I just got done, jaja. Paid my quite inexpensive bill, and went on my way.
Once I got home I realized something though, and a little advice for those who have yet to get waxed...make sure they get all the wax off! After trying to wipe off the leftovers with a towel unsuccessfully, I looked up that any type of oil helps, so I used the lavender body spray oil I had bought at the market the week before and I was all set.
The rest of the night was spent packing for semana santa!! There was no way I was going to fit a week's worth of clothing in my backpack, so I asked to borrow a little duffel from my host parents, and they happily obliged.

Details about Semana Santa to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment